[Erp5-dev] Variation categories on resources
Łukasz Nowak
2007-09-10 13:37:03 UTC

Some time ago I chosen (wrongly) "industrial_phase" category for Product
and Component portal type as category for generic categorisation of
resources. Right now I have to choose another category, and I know I
shall not create new category - but I'd like to avoid any future
implications of such choose (as it happened with industrial_phase).

Is there any list of "safe" categories - like "size", "colour" - those
are in http://www.erp5.org/HowToUseVariations ?

"variante" and "variation" sound good for me - but "industrial_phase"
was also good.

If there is no such list shall I do some grepping on code with crazy
regular expressions to check if category is "safe"? But I won't be able
to check for future changes that way...

Regards,
Luke
--
?ukasz Nowak R&D Ventis http://www.ventis.com.pl/
tel: +48 32 768 16 85 fax: +48 32 392 10 61
``Use the Source, Luke...''
bartek
2007-09-20 11:37:46 UTC
Post by Łukasz Nowak
Hello,
Some time ago I chosen (wrongly) "industrial_phase" category for Product
and Component portal type as category for generic categorisation of
resources. Right now I have to choose another category, and I know I
shall not create new category
Why not? I see nothing wrong in creating new base categories for
classifying objects. Products, people, organisation can be classified in
a zillion of ways, it is part of configuration.

But, if you start creating base categories to set relations between
objects, this would be a bad sign - it would suggest that you do not
apply the "5 concepts" paradigm properly.

Bartek
Post by Łukasz Nowak
- but I'd like to avoid any future
implications of such choose (as it happened with industrial_phase).
Is there any list of "safe" categories - like "size", "colour" - those
are in http://www.erp5.org/HowToUseVariations ?
"variante" and "variation" sound good for me - but "industrial_phase"
was also good.
If there is no such list shall I do some grepping on code with crazy
regular expressions to check if category is "safe"? But I won't be able
to check for future changes that way...
Regards,
Luke
--
"feelings affect productivity. (...) unhappy people write worse
software, and less of it."