[Erp5-dev] bootstrap
Yoshinori Okuji
2005-10-10 13:39:29 UTC
I write this mail, because I found a serious mistake in erp5_core.

The business template erp5_core is very special, because it has a bootstrap
issue. Since erp5_core itself is a business template, erp5_core may not
manage meta information about business templates.

The bootstrap of ERP5 is done by ERP5Generator in ERP5/ERP5Site.py. This short
Python code deals with the most difficult part to initialize the minimal ERP5
Site. It adds the portal type Business Template by using the factory type
information in ERP5/Document/BusinessTemplate.py, and imports two workflows
related to Business Template. After these, it can add erp5_core.

Since erp5_core depends on the portal type and the workflows, you must not
modify them by erp5_core itself. If you do this, the functionality of
Business Template malfunctions. When you want to modify them, you must modify
the factory type information in the document, and export the workflows in XML
format to the directory bootstrap in ERP5.

YO
--
Yoshinori Okuji, Nexedi Research Director
http://www.nexedi.com
http://www.storever.com
Romain Courteaud
2005-10-10 13:58:53 UTC
Post by Yoshinori Okuji
Since erp5_core depends on the portal type and the workflows, you must not
modify them by erp5_core itself. If you do this, the functionality of
Business Template malfunctions. When you want to modify them, you must modify
the factory type information in the document, and export the workflows in XML
format to the directory bootstrap in ERP5.
If the portal type Business Template and the workflows are modified, how can we
easily update existing site (for a site administrator point of view) ?
(exemple: for adding a new Forms, or changing the variable names in the workflows)

Romain
Yoshinori Okuji
2005-10-10 14:04:40 UTC
Post by Romain Courteaud
If the portal type Business Template and the workflows are modified, how
can we easily update existing site (for a site administrator point of view)
? (exemple: for adding a new Forms, or changing the variable names in the
workflows)
They must be stable.

YO
http://www.storever.com
Romain Courteaud
2005-10-10 14:35:08 UTC
Post by Yoshinori Okuji
Post by Romain Courteaud
If the portal type Business Template and the workflows are modified, how
can we easily update existing site (for a site administrator point of view)
? (exemple: for adding a new Forms, or changing the variable names in the
workflows)
They must be stable.
But, they can't be perfectly stable (as we can add new functionnality, or
correct a bug). So, we need to find a way to update them.
For example, we can create a new business template for only that (if possible).

Romain
Yoshinori Okuji
2005-10-10 14:49:03 UTC
Post by Romain Courteaud
But, they can't be perfectly stable (as we can add new functionnality, or
correct a bug). So, we need to find a way to update them.
For example, we can create a new business template for only that (if possible).
There is only one part which can be reduced even more: the actions. Since the
actions are only for the user interface, we can segregate them from the
portal type definition. In fact, the Business Template has already supported
action manipulation very well.

However, you should try not to modify them, as they are the really core part
in ERP5, and not related to any business logic.

YO