[Erp5-dev] erp5_catalog business template
Alexandre Boeglin
2005-04-05 11:06:49 UTC
Dear all,

I created a new business template, named erp5_catalog. This business
template contains all SQL catalog methods and properties.

I created this one as there was previously no way to update a catalog on
an installed site (but doing it manually).

So, Nexedi staff, please update, rebuild and commit it each time you
make changes to portal_catalog.

For now, I created it as a separated business template, but maybe its
content should be merged into erp5_core in the future ?

Regards,
Alex
Rogério Atem de Carvalho
2005-04-05 16:35:28 UTC
IMHO,

I think it should be a core feature...

--
Prof. Rog?rio Atem de Carvalho, D.Sc.
Gerente de Pesquisa - CEFET Campos

Servidor de E-mail CEFET Campos
Yoshinori Okuji
2005-04-06 15:47:55 UTC
Post by Alexandre Boeglin
For now, I created it as a separated business template, but maybe its
content should be merged into erp5_core in the future ?
It depends on how cleanly you want to make things. If you want to go fast,
merging it into erp5_core is very easy. But I don't think this is technically
good, because:

- If erp5_core has too many things, you must upgrade the whole template even
when you just want to upgrade a few things. Since erp5_core includes some
critical objects, this is not funny.

- If you bloat erp5_core, the maintenance becomes heavier (cvs update takes
more time, cvs diff emits a huge number of lines, etc.).

One very clean solution is:

- Add support for dependencies into Template Tool.

- Divide erp5_core into several templates.

- Make erp5_core as a virtual template which depends on those smaller
templates.

I do not expect that you would like to do this, though. ;)

YO
--
Yoshinori Okuji, Nexedi Research Director
http://www.nexedi.com