[Erp5-dev] Unreorganized ERP5 Documentation
Muhamad Reza
2009-09-18 13:34:55 UTC

When I trying all of ERP5 have. I got a lot of problem about the
documentations.

I confess ERP5 is lazy to make a documentation. The documentation is very
important for a new users.

I confuse with ERP5 documentation. ERP5 documentation is spread among a lot
of links.

Let see list of documentation links below:

http://www.erp5.org/Documentation -----> List of all ERP5 documentation
links.
http://www.erp5.org/HowTo -----> Good link about technical stuff.
Nevertheless, This link doesn't contatin ERP5 architectures.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/ERP5_Handbook -----> This link contains
architecture of ERP5, and also security model.This documentation link is
very poor. I've opened among 3 months but it still not complete. Nothing
something new on this link.

On the other hand, ERP5 documentation can be found in
http://cps.erp5.org/sections/erp/
cps.erp5.org is the old ERP5 links. but, why developer not reorganized ?

I'm sorry if I criticize about ERP5 documentation. but, it's really
unrecognized and not up-to date.

Best Regards,

Reza
--
exodream - beyond a dream
Everyone has rights to get what they expect.
Post by Muhamad Reza
Hi,
When I trying all of ERP5 have. I got a lot of problem about the
documentations.
I confess ERP5 is lazy to make a documentation. The documentation is
very important for a new users.
Usually code goes faster than documentation for many projects. But which
kind of documentation you think that it is missing? I'm interested to know.
Post by Muhamad Reza
I confuse with ERP5 documentation. ERP5 documentation is spread among
a lot of links.
http://www.erp5.org/Documentation -----> List of all ERP5
documentation links.
http://www.erp5.org/HowTo -----> Good link about technical stuff.
Nevertheless, This link doesn't contatin ERP5 architectures.
Maybe you can find more documentation at http://www.myerp5.com/kb, like:

- https://www.myerp5.com/kb/developer-Forum.Tutorial
- https://www.myerp5.com/kb/developer-How.To.Become.ERP5.Developer/view

There is also some presentations, there that can introduce you the ERP5
Architecture, you can use the search.
Post by Muhamad Reza
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/ERP5_Handbook -----> This link contains
architecture of ERP5, and also security model.This documentation link
is very poor. I've opened among 3 months but it still not complete.
Nothing something new on this link.
I don't know if the creators still updating or maintained it.
Post by Muhamad Reza
On the other hand, ERP5 documentation can be found in
http://cps.erp5.org/sections/erp/
cps.erp5.org <http://cps.erp5.org> is the old ERP5 links. but, why
developer not reorganized ?
This contains really old stuff, all relevant content here should be
already moved to wiki. If you find something not migrated you can
migrate yourself also (everyone can edit the wiki) or you can send a
mail to this mailing list, people will verify.
Post by Muhamad Reza
I'm sorry if I criticize about ERP5 documentation. but, it's really
unrecognized and not up-to date.
Regards,
Post by Muhamad Reza
Best Regards,
Reza
--
<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html>
<http://www.infi-nity.com>) - pt. vikasa infinity anugrah
bsd city sektor 14 - ruko golden madrid g/9 - tangerang 15321 - indonesia
t: +62 (21) 5316 4796 f: +62 (21) 5316 4797 m:+62 816 956207
Contact me at + 62 878 3229 5036
Rafael Manh?es Monnerat, Nexedi Developer - Tel. +55 (22) 8808 8500
ERP5 Enterprise: Free / Open Source ERP for Critical Applications
http://www.erp5.com
Tio Live: Hosted Open Source ERP for small companies
http://www.tiolive.com
http://www.nexedi.com
Muhamad Reza
2009-09-18 15:27:00 UTC
Post by Rafael Monnerat
Post by Muhamad Reza
I confess ERP5 is lazy to make a documentation. The documentation is
very important for a new users.
Usually code goes faster than documentation for many projects. But which
kind of documentation you think that it is missing? I'm interested to know.
1. On http://www.erp5.org/HowTo ,in section *User How-to*. The first of all
is about installation ERP5...Right ?
I just see documentation for installing ERP5 on Mandriva.. Where is
installation documentation for Ubuntu or Windows ? Through, I know it can be
found at http://www.erp5.org/Download However, it is better if we add some
links again on http://www.erp5.org/HowTo about installation setup. For
ubuntu it should be refer to http://www.raskon.org/trac/erp5/wiki/Erp5Ubuntu

One more thing, Installation using buildout for Ubuntu was successfully
installed.But, Why on http://www.erp5.org/HowToUseBuildout still
experimental ? See installation for Ubuntu
http://www.raskon.org/trac/erp5/wiki/Erp5Ubuntu is *also *use buildout.

2. Can I request documentation about "Understanding Business Templates,
Products and Modules" ? What is the relational between them ?. I still get
confuse on it.
Post by Rafael Monnerat
Post by Muhamad Reza
http://www.erp5.org/Documentation -----> List of all ERP5
documentation links.
http://www.erp5.org/HowTo -----> Good link about technical stuff.
Nevertheless, This link doesn't contatin ERP5 architectures.
- https://www.myerp5.com/kb/developer-Forum.Tutorial
- https://www.myerp5.com/kb/developer-How.To.Become.ERP5.Developer/view
There is also some presentations, there that can introduce you the ERP5
Architecture, you can use the search.
Unfortunately , Not all of them contains presentation. Some of them just
contain a screenshots what they've done. and not the real tutorial.
Post by Rafael Monnerat
Post by Muhamad Reza
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/ERP5_Handbook -----> This link contains
architecture of ERP5, and also security model.This documentation link
is very poor. I've opened among 3 months but it still not complete.
Nothing something new on this link.
I don't know if the creators still updating or maintained it.
Hmm.... so do I..
Post by Muhamad Reza
On the other hand, ERP5 documentation can be found in
http://cps.erp5.org/sections/erp/
cps.erp5.org <http://cps.erp5.org> is the old ERP5 links. but, why
developer not reorganized ?
This contains really old stuff, all relevant content here should be
already moved to wiki. If you find something not migrated you can
migrate yourself also (everyone can edit the wiki) or you can send a
mail to this mailing list, people will verify
Yup, I know that http://wiki.erp5.org/ refer to http://www.erp5.org/

Best Regards,

Reza

Post by Muhamad Reza
very important for a new users.
Usually code goes faster than documentation for many projects. But which
kind of documentation you think that it is missing? I'm interested to know.
1. On http://www.erp5.org/HowTo ,in section User How-to. The first of
all is about installation ERP5...Right ?
I just see documentation for installing ERP5 on Mandriva.. Where
is installation documentation for Ubuntu or Windows ? Through, I know
it can be found at http://www.erp5.org/Download However, it is better
if we add some links again on http://www.erp5.org/HowTo about
installation setup. For ubuntu it should be refer to
http://www.raskon.org/trac/erp5/wiki/Erp5Ubuntu
The default installation process is for Mandriva. But on any posix based
system it is possible to install ERP5 from source
( http://www.erp5.org/DownloadSourceCode ). The best way to try out ERP5
is to subscribe to TioLive as suggested on wiki frontpage:
http://www.erp5.org/
Post by Muhamad Reza
One more thing, Installation using buildout for Ubuntu was
successfully installed.But, Why on
http://www.erp5.org/HowToUseBuildout still experimental ? See
installation for Ubuntu
http://www.raskon.org/trac/erp5/wiki/Erp5Ubuntu is also use buildout.
Please keep in mind that as in all open source work unrelated people are
working around same project. Sites on raskon.org are not related to
erp5.org, so those statements may (and in this case they are) differ.
Post by Muhamad Reza
2. Can I request documentation about "Understanding Business
Templates, Products and Modules" ? What is the relational between
them ?. I still get confuse on it.
This knowledge is mostly based on Zope architecture. As in any flexible
and big project there is some time needed to feel good with all
interrelations. Some patience might be required...

Regards,
Luke
-
Bartek Gorny
2009-09-29 13:16:15 UTC
Post by Rafael Monnerat
Post by Muhamad Reza
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/ERP5_Handbook -----> This link contains
architecture of ERP5, and also security model.This documentation link
is very poor. I've opened among 3 months but it still not complete.
Nothing something new on this link.
I don't know if the creators still updating or maintained it.
No, they don't. The handbook was an initiative of ?ukasz Nowak, me and
three other Polish guys, about two years ago. We saw a desperate need
of a comprehensive document, which would allow a newcomer to climb the
learning curve (which in the case of ERP5 is awfully steep) step by
step. In the current state of documentation, someone trying to learn
ERP5 has to put together scraps of information from various places and
guess or work out the missing pieces - which takes months of very hard
work and requires outstanding perseverance, even toughness. There is
very few people determined enough to do so, especially given that
competing projects provide tons of documentation, demos, sample
applications, even publish books. We realized that if we want the
community to grow, we had to provide something usable. A wikibooks
formula seemed a good way for it.

Obviously, we wanted to do it together with Nexedi, since it is them
who possess the real knowledge. We were in an open source world,
anyway, and worked for the benefit of the same project. The problem
was that Nexedi completely ignored this initiative. Nobody ever
contributed a single line, nobody even bothered to review what we
wrote. It is rather difficult to write good docs without any
cooperation from the author.

On erp5.org, there is a grave warning: "The Handbook is a separate
structure for now and contains some inadequacies thus should not be
fully trusted, but is going to be merged with this wiki once it is
reviewed and all errors fixed." This sentence has been writted
eighteen months ago. From what I know, there was no review and nothing
has been merged with the wiki. So much for "community projects".

Bartek
Post by Muhamad Reza
I'm sorry if I criticize about ERP5 documentation. but, it's really
unrecognized and not up-to date.
Regards,
Post by Muhamad Reza
Best Regards,
Reza
--
? ? exodream - beyond a dream
? ? Everyone has rights to get what they expect.
? ? ----Free Software is better than Open Source----
? ? Why ? See www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html
? ? <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html>
? ? Join Free Software Foundation at
? ? https://my.fsf.org/associate/support_freedom/join_fsf?
? ? Take all of advantages by Joining FSF. Join Now !!
i n f i n i t y . s o l u t i o n (www.infi-nity.com
<http://www.infi-nity.com>) - pt. vikasa infinity anugrah
bsd city sektor 14 - ruko golden madrid g/9 - tangerang 15321 - indonesia
t: +62 (21) 5316 4796 ?f: +62 (21) 5316 4797 m:+62 816 956207
Contact me at + 62 878 3229 5036
"Software is largely a service industry operating under the persistent
but unfounded delusion that it is a manufacturing industry."
Eric S.Raymond, "The Magic Cauldron"
Łukasz Nowak
2009-09-18 14:08:39 UTC
Post by Muhamad Reza
Hi,
When I trying all of ERP5 have. I got a lot of problem about the
documentations.
I confess ERP5 is lazy to make a documentation. The documentation is
very important for a new users.
I confuse with ERP5 documentation. ERP5 documentation is spread among
a lot of links.
http://www.erp5.org/Documentation -----> List of all ERP5
documentation links.
http://www.erp5.org/HowTo -----> Good link about technical stuff.
Nevertheless, This link doesn't contatin ERP5 architectures.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/ERP5_Handbook -----> This link contains
architecture of ERP5, and also security model.This documentation link
is very poor. I've opened among 3 months but it still not complete.
Nothing something new on this link.
Handbook is discontinued. It was started some time ago as community
project, some parts were merged with wiki and KB, but I checked and
there are no new entries, so I added note about it.
Post by Muhamad Reza
On the other hand, ERP5 documentation can be found in
http://cps.erp5.org/sections/erp/
cps.erp5.org is the old ERP5 links. but, why developer not
reorganized ?
There is also KB - https://www.myerp5.com/kb/ - which contains a lot of
documentation categorised and updated.
Post by Muhamad Reza
I'm sorry if I criticize about ERP5 documentation. but, it's really
unrecognized and not up-to date.
There is enormous amount of documentation about ERP5 relating to
different aspects of system. We are trying hard to categorise this
documents to provide the best possible starting point for community.
Your feedback is valuable for as we know what are the most important
works to do. Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Best Regards,
Luke
Post by Muhamad Reza
Best Regards,
Reza
Muhamad Reza
2009-09-18 15:37:18 UTC

2009/9/18 ?ukasz Nowak <luke at nexedi.com>
Post by Łukasz Nowak
Post by Muhamad Reza
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/ERP5_Handbook -----> This link contains
architecture of ERP5, and also security model.This documentation link
is very poor. I've opened among 3 months but it still not complete.
Nothing something new on this link.
Handbook is discontinued. It was started some time ago as community
project, some parts were merged with wiki and KB, but I checked and
there are no new entries, so I added note about it.
However, I think if some of parts are merged. it should be informed on
Handbook it self.
Post by Łukasz Nowak
Post by Muhamad Reza
On the other hand, ERP5 documentation can be found in
http://cps.erp5.org/sections/erp/
cps.erp5.org is the old ERP5 links. but, why developer not
reorganized ?
There is also KB - https://www.myerp5.com/kb/ - which contains a lot of
documentation categorised and updated.
Yup... I know it. Sorry, I forget to add this link. I also opened it. and
what I see is not all of them is documentation. Some of them are not useful
and silly (I'm sorry). For example:
https://www.myerp5.com/kb/image_module/447/view What can i get for that ?
What the benefit for me ?
Post by Łukasz Nowak
Post by Muhamad Reza
I'm sorry if I criticize about ERP5 documentation. but, it's really
unrecognized and not up-to date.
There is enormous amount of documentation about ERP5 relating to
different aspects of system. We are trying hard to categorise this
documents to provide the best possible starting point for community.
Your feedback is valuable for as we know what are the most important
works to do. Thank you very much for your suggestions.
You're welcome..
Post by Łukasz Nowak
Best Regards,
Luke
Post by Muhamad Reza
Best Regards,
Reza
--
exodream - beyond a dream
Everyone has rights to get what they expect.
----Free Software is better than Open Source----
Why ? See
www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html
Join Free Software Foundation at
https://my.fsf.org/associate/support_freedom/join_fsf?
Take all of advantages by Joining FSF. Join Now !!
i n f i n i t y . s o l u t i o n (www.infi-nity.com) - pt. vikasa
infinity anugrah
bsd city sektor 14 - ruko golden madrid g/9 - tangerang 15321 - indonesia
t: +62 (21) 5316 4796 f: +62 (21) 5316 4797 m:+62 816 956207
Contact me at + 62 878 3229 5036

Post by Muhamad Reza
Nothing something new on this link.
Handbook is discontinued. It was started some time ago as community
project, some parts were merged with wiki and KB, but I checked and
there are no new entries, so I added note about it.
However, I think if some of parts are merged. it should be informed on
Handbook it self.
Wikibooks projects are fully community projects. Everyone is welcomed to
check knowledge on this site and edit the books. Feel free to correct
wikibooks pages.
Post by Łukasz Nowak
Post by Muhamad Reza
On the other hand, ERP5 documentation can be found in
http://cps.erp5.org/sections/erp/
cps.erp5.org is the old ERP5 links. but, why developer not
reorganized ?
There is also KB - https://www.myerp5.com/kb/ - which contains a lot of
documentation categorised and updated.
Yup... I know it. Sorry, I forget to add this link. I also opened it.
and what I see is not all of them is documentation. Some of them are
https://www.myerp5.com/kb/image_module/447/view What can i get for
that ? What the benefit for me ?
Well. This is one of images in KB. I am sure it is useful for some less
technical people to have images showing them the easiest way to proceed
in specific cases.

Regards,
Luke
Post by Muhamad Reza
unrecognized and not up-to date.
There is enormous amount of documentation about ERP5 relating to
different aspects of system. We are trying hard to categorise this
documents to provide the best possible starting point for community.
Your feedback is valuable for as we know what are the most important
works to do. Thank you very much for your suggestions.
You're welcome..
Best Regards,
Luke
Post by Muhamad Reza
Best Regards,
Reza
Muhamad Reza
2009-09-18 15:54:28 UTC

Did ERP5 documented about "Business Template" because I cannot find the
documentation on this link
https://www.myerp5.com/kb/documentation_section/developer/bt5/bt5-Web/view ?

In this case I only found How-to install Bt and How-to create it but I
cannot find documentation for business template from ERP5. (i.e business
template for accounting.)

Best Regards,

Reza
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Hello Reza,
Post by Muhamad Reza
Hi,
Did ERP5 documented about "Business Template" because I cannot find
the documentation on this link
https://www.myerp5.com/kb/documentation_section/developer/bt5/bt5-Web/view ?
In this case I only found How-to install Bt and How-to create it but I
cannot find documentation for business template from ERP5. (i.e
business template for accounting.)
There is documentation about Business Templates on wiki:

http://www.erp5.org/HowToInstallBusinessTemplates

Documentation about how to manage Business Template installation. This
is from user point of view.

http://www.erp5.org/HowToCreateBusinessTemplates

Documentation explaining how to create, export, modify and work with
Business Templates. This is developer oriented information.

You are welcome to contribute to those wiki pages.

Regards,
Luke
Post by Muhamad Reza
Best Regards,
Reza
Bartek Gorny
2009-09-29 12:53:41 UTC
Post by Łukasz Nowak
Hello Reza,
Post by Muhamad Reza
Hi,
Did ERP5 documented about "Business Template" because I cannot find
the documentation on this link
https://www.myerp5.com/kb/documentation_section/developer/bt5/bt5-Web/view ?
In this case I only found How-to install Bt and How-to create it but I
cannot find documentation for business template from ERP5. (i.e
business template for accounting.)
http://www.erp5.org/HowToInstallBusinessTemplates
Documentation about how to manage Business Template installation. This
is from user point of view.
http://www.erp5.org/HowToCreateBusinessTemplates
Documentation explaining how to create, export, modify and work with
Business Templates. This is developer oriented information.
You are welcome to contribute to those wiki pages.
Ehm... I think Reza needs to READ some documentation, before he can
start WRITING it...

Bartek
Post by Łukasz Nowak
Regards,
Luke
Post by Muhamad Reza
Best Regards,
Reza
Bartek Gorny
2009-09-29 12:50:36 UTC
Post by Łukasz Nowak
Post by Muhamad Reza
I'm sorry if I criticize about ERP5 documentation. but, it's really
unrecognized and not up-to date.
There is enormous amount of documentation about ERP5 relating to
different aspects of system. We are trying hard to categorise this
documents to provide the best possible starting point for community.
Your feedback is valuable for as we know what are the most important
works to do. Thank you very much for your suggestions.
I find it rather hard to believe that anybody is working hard on
documentation. I heard exactly the same four years ago, and the
documentation is as shabby as it was at that time. The "knowledge
base" is still a loose pile of old presentations, nearly
incomprehensible for a newbie. The wiki is a good reference material
for an experienced erp5 developer, but not for somebody who is just
starting. By the way, about half of the wiki was written by community
in the good old days when community headcount was about five people
(including you and me). The other half is mostly a reference notepad
of some of the Nexedi developers. Doesn't seem like a project to which
Nexedi devotes its resources...

Given that you are now in Nexedi, I'm sure Nexedi knows perfectly well
"what are the most important works to do". But, apparently, Nexedi is
just not going to do them.

Bartek
Post by Łukasz Nowak
Best Regards,