[Erp5-dev] ISO country codes in ERP5
Łukasz Nowak
2008-04-10 14:57:17 UTC

In business world there is need to use ISO Country Codes for
parties.

From developer point of view country to ISO Country Code is just simple
mapping, eg: 'Poland' => 'PL', 'France' => 'FR'. And more - such map is
published on ISO site in various formats:
http://www.iso.org/iso/country_codes/iso_3166_code_lists.htm

Where in ERP5 such mapping shall reside? In portal_categories/region as
codification property for country (that is what we are doing right now)?
Those data might change from time to time and what about historical
changes? Anything else...?

Regards,
Luke
--
?ukasz Nowak R&D Ventis http://www.ventis.com.pl/
tel: +48 32 768 16 85 fax: +48 32 392 10 61
``Use the Source, Luke...'' I am only craftsman.
Jean-Paul Smets
2008-04-10 15:07:24 UTC
Post by Łukasz Nowak
Hello,
In business world there is need to use ISO Country Codes for
parties.
From developer point of view country to ISO Country Code is just simple
mapping, eg: 'Poland' => 'PL', 'France' => 'FR'. And more - such map is
http://www.iso.org/iso/country_codes/iso_3166_code_lists.htm
Where in ERP5 such mapping shall reside? In portal_categories/region as
codification property for country (that is what we are doing right now)?
This is one way of doing, although it is not always desirable to have
the full ISO list for everyone (this is why there is no default category
in ERP5).
I would suggest to put a link to this list in the erp5.org (it is maybe
already there).

This area:
http://www.erp5.org/ResourceLibrary
is meant for that.
Post by Łukasz Nowak
Those data might change from time to time and what about historical
changes? Anything else...?
In some cases, we have set a workflow on categories to define which are
in use and which are not.

By using the checked_permission or state parameter, we only display
those categories which are still in use, while preserving legacy data.

This way, it is possible to keep old category definitions and introduce
new ones during the life of the system, without doing heavy data migration.

The reason why this workflow is not set in default is because the more
workflows in the system, the less performance. It is also possible to
achieve similar result by changing effective data parameters in categories.

Regards,

JPS.
Post by Łukasz Nowak
Regards,
Luke
--
Jean-Paul Smets-Solanes, Nexedi CEO - Tel. +33(0)6 62 05 76 14
ERP5 Enterprise: Free / Open Source ERP for Critical Applications
http://www.nexedi.com
Łukasz Nowak
2008-04-11 10:21:25 UTC

On 2008-04-10, 17:07:24
Post by Jean-Paul Smets
Post by Łukasz Nowak
Hello,
In business world there is need to use ISO Country Codes for
parties.
From developer point of view country to ISO Country Code is just
simple mapping, eg: 'Poland' => 'PL', 'France' => 'FR'. And more -
http://www.iso.org/iso/country_codes/iso_3166_code_lists.htm
Where in ERP5 such mapping shall reside? In
portal_categories/region as codification property for country (that
is what we are doing right now)?
This is one way of doing, although it is not always desirable to have
the full ISO list for everyone (this is why there is no default
category in ERP5).
I would suggest to put a link to this list in the erp5.org (it is
maybe already there).
http://www.erp5.org/ResourceLibrary
is meant for that.
Didn't find any, so I create new page:
http://www.erp5.org/ResourceLibrary/ISOCountryCodes

Also on http://www.erp5.org/ResourceLibrary I made place for
ISO-related business knowledge.
Post by Jean-Paul Smets
Post by Łukasz Nowak
Those data might change from time to time and what about historical
changes? Anything else...?
In some cases, we have set a workflow on categories to define which
are in use and which are not.
By using the checked_permission or state parameter, we only display
those categories which are still in use, while preserving legacy data.
This way, it is possible to keep old category definitions and
introduce new ones during the life of the system, without doing heavy
data migration.
The reason why this workflow is not set in default is because the more
workflows in the system, the less performance. It is also possible to
achieve similar result by changing effective data parameters in categories.
Well - I wanted to find out "ideal" solution for this, but in out
implementation everything what is needed, is that region subcategories
will have codification set on country-like regions.

Regards,
Luke