[Erp5-dev] visited objects and selection
bartek
2007-02-01 15:38:18 UTC
Hello

I'd like to record information about the fact that a user "visited" a
certain object (means he opened a web page publishing this object). The
purpose is to be able to display a list of objects and mark the ones he
hasn't seen yet.

The solution I consider is storing the info in a dedicated per-user
selection, and then retrieving it for every object in a list. The
question is, would that be an eficient solution? I'd soon end up storing
hundreds of object identifiers per every user, wouldn't it hurt
performance? And if so, what other solution may be considered?

Bartek
Yoshinori Okuji
2007-02-03 16:46:30 UTC
Post by bartek
Hello
I'd like to record information about the fact that a user "visited" a
certain object (means he opened a web page publishing this object). The
purpose is to be able to display a list of objects and mark the ones he
hasn't seen yet.
The solution I consider is storing the info in a dedicated per-user
selection, and then retrieving it for every object in a list. The
question is, would that be an eficient solution? I'd soon end up storing
hundreds of object identifiers per every user, wouldn't it hurt
performance? And if so, what other solution may be considered?
Clearly, it would be very heavy to record such information when you have many
objects and many users, thus unrealistic, if you need precise records. If you
can accept that information is sometimes forgotten, I think the easiest way
is to just use a:visited in a CSS.

YO
--
Yoshinori Okuji, Nexedi CTO
http://www.nexedi.com
http://www.erp5.org
bartek
2007-02-03 17:34:25 UTC
Post by Yoshinori Okuji
Post by bartek
[...]
Sometimes forgotten, and bound to the browser, not the user. But this is
a very interesting idea, and simple - we'll see if it is acceptable for
the project. Thanks.

Bartek
Post by Yoshinori Okuji
YO