[Erp5-dev] Archaic system upgrade - scenarios
Łukasz Nowak
2007-05-14 10:28:37 UTC

We are using archaic version of ERP5 - r10526. Day which thrills me came
last week - we *have* to catch up Nexedi's head (revision for test is
14447 or newer with same tests results - no errors and 3 or less fails).

I've set up some test upgrade machines and was wondering about two
upgrade scenarios - classic and crazy. Our scenario tests are passing on
newest revision in automatic test system, so my modifications are in 90%
upgradeable (I hope ;) ).

In classic scenario I'll upgrade Products, than upgrade erp5_* BT5, than
resolve some conflicts with our BT5 modifications. There are many
incompatibilities and such path leaves me sometimes in hard to track
problems (not impossible, after searching mailing list and using some
debugging they are solved).

I thought about "crazy" upgrade path:
- set up fresh system in chosen (r14447) revision
- install erp5_* BT5
- install our_* BT5
- resolve conflicts between modifications
- export all used modules and portal_simulations, portal_rules from
production system[*]
- import them into fresh system[*]
- perform full site reindex

Export/importing is done into/from zexp files - with wkf history, and so
on, *not* using BT5 system.

Well. I done it few times (it is quite easy to automate) and all
surprisingly is working well. Of course more test need to be applied,
but I've got question: is crazy upgrade path acceptable? I might miss
some important problems.

Thanks for any tips,
Luke
--
?ukasz Nowak R&D Ventis http://www.ventis.com.pl/
tel: +48 32 768 16 85 fax: +48 32 392 10 61